Super Sweet And Super Good!
I got the inspiration for this drink the other day when I was visiting Costco and saw a big bag of Ocean Spray Craisins infused with pomegranate juice. For those of you who haven’t had Craisins they are basically dehydrated cranberries and the adding of the pomegranate juice makes it all that much better. In addition they only cost about seven dollars a big bag.
So it occurred to me that this mixture might make a great simple syrup and I was right! This simple syrup can be used in making a shaken Margarita as well is the frozen variety with both turning out excellent. Be careful though these Craisins start out super sweet and more sugar you add to the syrup mixture the more you will head towards needing an insulin shot.
Margarita Ingredients: (Recipe makes 2 drinks, multiply as necessary)
- 3 ounces of Silver Tequila.
- 2 ounces of Grand Marnier
- 4 ounces of Craisin simple syrup (See Recipe Below)
- 1/2 ounce of Nellie and Joe’s Key Lime Juice
- Sparkling sugar or margarita salt.
- Lime wedge.
- 2 cups of ice.
Margarita Mixing instructions:
- Prepare your margarita glass by wetting the rim with the lime wedge and dipping it in the salt or sugar, depending on your taste for the day.
- Place the Craisin simple syrup, Grand Marnier, tequila, lime juice and ice into your Margaritaville machine, set it on 2 glasses and hit shave/blend toggle.
- Pour into your Margarita glass, garnish with a lime wedge and serve with some Craisins on the side.
Craisin Simple Syrup Recipe:
- 1 cup of Craisins infused with pomegranate juice
- 2 cups of water
- ¾ cup of sugar
- 1 fine mesh fruit bag available from your local grocery store.
Syrup Cooking Instructions:
This is probably easiest thing you have ever cooked in your life and if you can boil water you’re ready to go.
- Simply place all the ingredients in a pot and heat to boiling, stir the ingredients, reduce heat to low and continue to simmer for 5 min.
- At the end of 5 min. remove from heat and allow mixture to cool completely.
- Line a large measuring cup with the fruit bag and pour the mixture into the bag.
- Gather the bag up and squeeze out all the juice that you can into the measuring cup.
There you have it your Craisins simple syrup. This recipe can be modified to be used as syrup for snow cones by increasing the ingredients to a one-to-one ratio. In other words 1 cup sugar, 1 cup Craisins, 1 cup water.
The reason that the sugar has been kept low in the first-place is that these are super sweet to begin with containing 34 carbs for every third cup of fruit. A lot of that sugar will transfer into our syrup and make your drink too sweet if you overdo it with the additional sugar. Another option is to make the super sweet version and just cut it with water when making your drink although your drinks color or suffer.
————————————————-[googleplusauthor] None found.